A Sleep at Adyapeetha



Kolkata; a city of joy, music and much more. But for me always it has been a city of crowds of confused people. As I am not a Kolkatian, I never think about it but nature always makes me visit that city. Unavoidable situations often arise, and all I need to do is to visit that city. Whenever I get to visit Kolkata, I always try to do something apart from my work, that really worthy of facing Kolkata, specifically its crowd. Such thing I had to do yesterday. I decided to visit Adyapeetha Devi Temple. And there I felt something so un-Kolkatic in the middle of Kolkata.
From my very childhood I have seen Her portrait almost daily at home. Her “AdyaStotram” is very famous to us all. So when I finally decided to visit the temple, I was obviously excited. But all of my excitement was doomed by a terrible headache. A long night-bus journey from Purulia to Kolkata and some rushes of the work, I had there gave me a tremendous headache. I was feeling so unwell that sometimes I decided to drop my plan of visiting the temple and leave for home ASAP. After swimming much in that famous crowd of Kolkata when I finally reached the temple, it was 12:15. I reached for Her, when it was Her time to rest. Why does She need rest? I mean, She is the Adya to cry out loud. Which kind of bhakti is this of Her devotees, that keeps Her seeker away from Her? Why does SHE need rest at all? If I waited for Her till 3 ‘o clock, I would miss my train back to Purulia. With a very unpleasant mind I decided to rest a bit at the NaaTMandir and then to leave for Howrah. I was unaware that She had planned something more for me there.

It was obvious to face another crowd there in the temple complex. Hundreds of people were enjoying the winter sun, some were busy in gossiping at the NaaTMandir, children were playing around as if it was their playground, and some oldies were crying out “MAA-MAA” and were trying their best to cry but couldn’t get a single drop of water from their eyes. I was already tired and this crowd just increased my headache a bit. Still I needed to rest so badly I sat there and without my concern, my body made my backpack a pillow and fell asleep.
My master told me once, “if you get a chance to sleep at a divine place, don’t miss it”. I was so impressed with my sub-conscious. It just followed one of His teachings. And then another journey to Adyapeeth began.
তখন সহসা হেরি মুদিয়া নয়ন 
মহাজন অরন্য মাঝে অনন্ত নির্জন 
তোমার আসনখানি। কোলাহল মাঝে 
তোমার নিস্তব্ধ সভা নিঃশব্দে বিরাজে।
I was living this poem. All of a sudden the sounds muted, the visuals blurred, the sun darkened. Whole of the complex was sinking into an ocean of darkness and silence. An ocean; which was made of Her and its waves and ripples were my known world. Some of them were my pieces of Purulia, some were my college fellows. Some of the waves were made of my friends and teachers and some of the ripples were made of my achievements and failures. And then it was a great wave, the temple itself. Thousands of ripples, under that giant wave formed and splashed with choirs of a chaotic world. Thousands of other waves were forming and splashing themselves against the ocean. Two waves with the Radha-Krishna vigraha and the vigraha of Lord formed and splashed with great roars. I don’t remember whether the roar was of sea or of stormy clouds. Finally the giant wave of the temple splashed and I was drowned inside the ocean. Down there it was silence. No rays of light were glittering from the waves, no seashores were forming symphony. Only a darkened depth, with an audible silence. I don’t know how long I was in that silence but slowly I started to hear the ripples again. The seashores were being louder. Am I going to float again or going to wake up? Am I really asleep, or I actually drowned in some psychedelia?
My headache was gone. The NaaTMandir became little more crowded, a new oldie was lecturing a youngster about morals of life and so on. I got up and sat. I was floating now. It was 2 o clock already. I got up to leave. I was moving out of the psychedelia and all of a sudden something stopped me. It was the seashores, and they were made of the chaos of the Temple complex. I clearly heard the seashore as
क्षुधा त्वं सर्वभूतानां वेला त्वं सागरस्य च

মন্তব্যসমূহ

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন

এই ব্লগটি থেকে জনপ্রিয় পোস্টগুলি

শ্রী শ্রী মনসা

কুরুক্ষেত্র গল্প না ইতিহাস?

শ্রী শ্রী মৎস্য বারাহী (পর্ব ১)